A Less Formal Life

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

the effects of too much crime docu-drama

Is that even a category name? In my limited spare time lately, I've been watching way too many TV crime documentaries, which inevitably leads me to dream of a life as a true crime novelist or biographer.

But I think that's too much serious business, and I should get back to writing about the stranger-than-fiction hilarity of my own daily experience. (And yes, I am also wondering when that is going to happen exactly, as I've not exactly been too good on the creative writing front lately.)

I guess this is one more support for the fact that violence/depravity/etc. in movies, TV and video games does not create criminals, if the proper upbringing (is that what I would call it?) is there. As desensitized as I have become to horror/sci-fi/fake movie violence (I can eat meat with wild abandon during the most flesh-noshing part of a zombie film), I was happy to find my stomach still turned a bit when faced with descriptions of real, grisly crime scenes.

And, now, my next topic of discussion will be how unfortunate it is when you really want to make mean but hilarious comments about someone on Facebook, then realize you have to censor yourself because that person is your Facebook friend. What a shame ...

No comments:

Post a Comment