A Less Formal Life

Monday, March 7, 2011

I dream of covered-up anxiety

Last night (or this morning -- it's always hard to tell), I dreamed I either witnessed or abetted a murder. I was hiding out in motel room with my co-conspirator (whom I didn't know), preparing to leave the country (presumably for Mexico or Canada, though I feel like it may have been Switzerland). The details of the murder were unclear, and the dream basically started in medias res, after the crime had been committed. I had the foul feeling of murder without having to see the violence. The cops showed up, and we engaged in a ridiculously low-speed car chase in a tiny topless car in which we could barely fit our backpacks (that we had to pack in 30 seconds when we heard the police coming to the hotel, which I believe was in Vegas). What's funny is, I dream often of this tiny car (though usually, it's my secret car that I keep in a closet in my apartment) and this hotel (though I'm usually there with my former swim team ... or Robert Loggia and Bob Saget [though that was only once]).

So, what does this mean? My favorite, albeit not very well-maintained dream site says,

"To dream that you have committed a murder, indicates that you are putting an end to an old habit and a former way of thinking. This could also refer to an end to an addiction. Alternatively, the dream indicates that you have some repressed aggression or rage at yourself or at someone.

To dream that you witness a murder, indicates deep-seated anger towards somebody. Consider how the victim represents aspects of yourself that you want to destroy or eliminate."

So, I suppose the murder part would be cross between the first two, since I'm not completely sure I actually did any of the killing.

And the tiny car part? I don't know.

However, I did find out something potentially interesting about my "disappearing characters" dream from the other night:

"To dream that people or objects are disappearing right before your eyes, signify your anxieties and insecurities over the notion that loved ones might disappear out of your life. You feel that you cannot depend on anyone and that you will end up alone. You need to work on your self-image and self-esteem."

Perhaps a little too deep for me. More Bob Saget, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment