A Less Formal Life

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

negative comments

I have many "theme" blogs that I have started over the years, not surprisingly, many of which I have all but abandoned (or that I update very infrequently). One, which I deemed "Stuff Pretentious People Like" started out as a way to complain semi-anonymously about a rather "affected" person in my life who was driving me crazy (and whom I have since cut out). I haven't felt the ire rising in me lately to celebrate exaggerated affectations (much to my dismay, as it can be one of my favorite things to do), so I haven't come up with a post in a while. (And obviously these posts expanded to include observations about many people and trends in the world that are over the top, so you'd think there would be plenty for a diatribe. I have failed.)

However, every few months, someone bothers to leave a comment on the blog. What started out as kudos for a target well scathed has turned into being told I'm an evil, unkind and bitter person for making fun of annoying people and things that are apparently helpless -- because making fun of the fact that a 40-year old still brags loudly about SAT scores to belittle a first date or that someone is sporting a mustache that makes him look like a wildebeest just to get attention (because presumably there is nothing interesting enough on the inside) is apparently akin to drop kicking a puppy.

But you know what they say about opinions ... and arguing on the Internet ...

No comments:

Post a Comment