A Less Formal Life

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Busy and Important

I'm noticing again that I'm encountering people again who are very "busy and important" about the way they organize their time with me. I start to feel like I'm being selfish when I demand a certain level of attention and care be paid to me by friends and others that engage in relationships with me ... but then I realize that's not at all too much to expect, and I start to try to find ways to make sure others know my demands. Unfortunately, there's really no easy way; grabbing the attention of the "busy and important" can be an uphill, losing battle.

I'm fortunate enough to have more than one person I can count on in my life to NEVER be too busy for me (and I realize that I reciprocate this action when people who deserve it are involved). I can count on one hand the people that will make time for me if I need them (and that do make time for me WHENEVER I need them). And these 3 or 4 are quite enough, thank you very much. Some people like to collect friends like they are trading cards or vinyl (and brag about how many friends they have). Honestly, if you are one of these people, I know, being a person who very much emotionally engages in my own life and truly cares about the people I most trust and love that you can't possibly have deep relationships with all these "friends." And I also know there's a distinct difference between "friends" and "acquaintances." I'm not willing to trade close friends for non-close ones (also frequently known, especially in this city, as "drinking buddies").

A lovely phone call from one of my very best friends of my life whom I have known for over 15 years now and who has been there in a heartbeat for me during some horrible times (and when I didn't even ask her to be there) reminded me what real friends are and really helped me categorize some of my more recent "acquisitions" (and also realize what's wrong with some of the ones that are making me unhappy at the moment).

The end message is pretty simple: Make some time for me, and you'll be worthy of me making some time for you ... and probably then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment