A Less Formal Life

Friday, September 17, 2010

All or nothing

I notice with writing that the more I write, the more I write. Deep, right? In translation: writing more breeds more writing, and also more high-quality writing. The more writing I do, the more writing I do. Logical, right? But, I have been operating like an untrained "only when inspired" idiot lately, avoiding the difficulty of struggling over phrases to achieve greater writing heights. That ridiculous and childish process needs to stop. I need to keep practicing putting my thoughts into words, more than just in e-mails to beloveds and friends.

I have a friend that posts little blog entries all day with random thoughts, and I am thinking that this might be a good plan for me. While normally I feel like the most irritating person on earth when I over-update my status message (and thus have stopped doing that), I think a blog is different, because people are presented with a choice ultimately in reading it or not reading it. Likely it's not showing up in anyone's live feed or being e-mailed to them the moment new content appears. Plus, no one is reading this at the moment (save maybe a few), so likely I could attract more people with more digestible posts.

So much for being "less formal." I think I would be better able to be unstructured (was that a double negative positive?) if I was really just writing thoughts off the cuff. Of course, my blogging friend seems to have deeper and more provoking thoughts than what comes tumbling out of my head, so maybe this experiment won't work as well.

Here's to trying to start something new (yet again) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment