A Less Formal Life

Thursday, April 28, 2011

apocalyptic events

There are definitely things brewing right now in my life, and I'm not even close to disappointed by them. However, it's not time yet to write about most of the positive revolution that is percolating. Maybe it's a fear of jinxing, maybe it's just that I'm growing up and learning the art of enjoying the happiness that can come from just having a lot of good things on the brink of happening. There's a certain degree of faith in that process, and I think my semi-abandonment of more organized spirituality (though I've certainly retained a deep connection to the "supernatural") has made me forget what that's all about. Some events can't be rushed. Oh, how we keep growing, sometimes in spite of our best intentions.

I came across a very fitting quote last week. I was actually just looking for something about patience, because mine was wearing thin. I'm not really one to be reverently inspired by random quotes outside the context of a larger literary work, song or treatise (or force other people to gain inspiration from them), but this one from American theologian, editor extraordinaire Lyman Abbot struck me:

"Patience is passion tamed."

It seems simple enough. And, it made me realize that I've been looking for more passion when my problem was too much passion and not enough respect for the time needed to enjoy the results of having so much of it. And, I've recently come into contact with some things and people (or perhaps one remarkably special person) who is going to teach me a lot about this part of me and a lot about how to stop rushing the life excitement I always think I'm waiting for, but that is actually in the process of happening as I type and breathe. And here I've been waiting for the world to explode, when everything I want is in the process of happening right now.

Here are some things I'm excited about:

1. I have three music reviews coming out in Bitch magazine very shortly. It will be my first time seeing myself in physical print with a byline, and I'm probably a little bit too excited about that. I hope I can get used to a lot of it in the future, or perhaps I should say, "I have faith I will get used to a lot of it in the future."

2. Job things are happening. I'm just waiting for a few things to finalize, and I think this dry spell will finally pass. I'm trying to retain enthusiasm without getting too enthusiastic in a way that will ruin what I need to do to keep working hard.

3. Previously mentioned special person expedite shipped what I'm expecting will be a funny bad movie, and is oddly apocalyptically related. I'm pretty sure it (and perhaps we) are going to blow up the world (or at least my world). I'm irrationally excited to see it and spend time with someone that seems to legitimately appreciate and even adore my flaws and stupidity as much as some of my good traits:



Stay tuned. Change is happening ... right now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment