A Less Formal Life

Saturday, April 30, 2011

getting out

I realize that it's been quite a few years of frugal living. Unfortunately, that mostly has to continue, but I'm finding myself lacking in the observation department the past few months. You know you need to get out more when you're a writer that mostly observes/dissects the human psyche and your nighttime/social life observational opportunities happen about 3-4 weeks apart.

A friend recently expressed concern that I was online all the time. She had come to believe I was a shut-in and needed some sort of intervention. Of course, I leave my house frequently to run errands, get food, go running (5-6 times per week lately in fact) and generally walk around. Her assumption that because I work hard it means I am a social deviant was actually beyond annoying to me. She's clearly not paying attention ... or she has a much different work ethic (not that she doesn't work hard ... it's probably more a slight difference in life goals).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this yet, but I think I just have to make the most of the times I am in the presence of ridiculousness (aka, out at night, on a weekend or a weekday ... there's plenty of ridiculousness to be had around these parts regardless of time of night). It shouldn't be too hard to find some funny trouble, since some seems to find me every time I step out my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment