A Less Formal Life

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Welcome to Bikini Island: Where Genetic Mutation is Likely and Inventions Are Sexy

Because I'm not feeling personally creative, I present a history lesson (or at least a history lesson in my sense of the word "history," which is in my world really the same as "trivia"):

I was doing some research to help out with the creation of a fun magazine quiz today and was amused by the history of the bikini, which was created by French engineer Louis Réard in 1946. He apparently marketed the suit with the tag line "smaller than the world's smallest bathing suit." He also purposely named it "bikini" as an homage to Bikini Island, the site of the July 1, 1946 Operation Crossroads nuclear weapons test. Why? Because during that era, people were just starting to describe awesome inventions as "atomic" ... and Réard didn't have a self confidence problem, and thus reasoned that his little labor of love would cause a sensation that would be as explosive as a nuclear bomb.

Now I'll admit, I am actually a little obsessed with this creepy little engineer that decided to design what were then racy women's garments. I feel that I need to know more about his design process. What was life like in that lab, and was there cross dressing (I think I know the answer to this; it was France, after all)? Thanks to the Internet, I can find out and report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment