A Less Formal Life

Monday, May 3, 2010

Basking in the Food of Literature ...

I am hard-pressed for interesting stories these days, hence why the infrequent updates. A doctor-imposed meningitis quarantine will do that to you. It's also hard to semi-censor yourself to make sure you're not committing an act of T.M.I., which is the danger. I have no desire to create an online "journal," forcing very unwanted personal food down someone's throat. I started this blog with the hope of no rules, but unfortunately, I have standards, a career and pride, so I can't be in-my-head candid (I certainly would not want to hear the innermost workings of someone's brain a la an unfortunate Ignatius P. Reilly). I have no desire to be pitied or make someone feel personally embarrassed.

Yesterday, newly-known Beth and I went for a very special Women in Love (if D.H. Lawrence was Norwegian) style High Tea at Podunk in the East Village. It was one of the most wonderful culinary experiences of my life, and I'm my senses are still reeling. "Tea for Two" was far more than for two, with a combination of savory and sweet, cold and hot treats that included delicious honey mustard, caramelized onion tarts, scones of many varieties, creamed strawberry jam with whipped cream, vanilla apricot iced tea (because it was far too steamy out for hot tea), cheddar biscuits with creamed filling, mint berry jam, lemon cakes, fresh berries ... I actually can't even list everything, because it was so varied and decadent. Hopefully the picture will better explain. I was happily full and wishing for a corset at the end of it ... and also a time machine so I could go back to a time when corsets were standard. Actually, I think they should come back, because it would allow women the delightful experience of being full of delicious food while still looking quite presentable.

Also, there was almond shortbread, cookies and finger sandwiches (radish and cream cheese, standard cucumber, ham and Swiss cheese). I may not ever be able to stop listing ... It was topped off by a free treat (offered by owner Elsbeth) of homemade lime lavender and Earl Gray ice cream inside a graham cracker pastry shell (which we ate as we continued to talk about food on the way to the subway).

I can't stop.

I am continuing the feeling apparently, because I am watching "Antiques Road Show" and wishing I had a slew of costume jewelry to don whilst drinking cherry cordials or brandy ... or wishing I were watching the BBC film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Deliciousness abounds.

Bask in a photo of our ridiculous decadence:

Photobucket

I want to continue to come back to life, because I've been a little lagging lately. I hope that happens. I also hope to see someone coming to senses soon, because said person is missed, inexplicably.

No comments:

Post a Comment